Gartneriet PKM A/S was founded in 1948 by Poul and Marie Madsen. In 1948 the production area covered 1.500 m2, but the nursery grew fast, especially when Poul Madsen late 1950s began to specialize in potplants. The oldest part of the existing nursery - a total of approx. 7000 m2 - was built in the years from 1960 to 1972.
Nygaard - a neighbouring farm - was taken over in 1978 and in 1979 Nygaard 1 and 2 were built. In 2002 Lumbyholm became part of PKM, and Gartneriet PKM A/S was united in two areas on both sides of Slettensvej in northern Odense. In 2007 Gartneriet PKM A/S bought 2 additional adjacent properties and in 2008 the production area was extended by 24,000 m2.
Today Gartneriet PKM A/S has a greenhouse area of 167,000 m2 and an outdoor area of 80,000 m2. Here we produce 20 million potplants a year, of which 85% is exported to the European markets and sold under the famous brand FAIRYTALE FLOWERS®. It is definitely an impressive sight to be in a small four person aircraft, high above the nursery.